Browse » Home
Tuesday, August 13, 2013
How to Create a Venn Diagram in Excel or Word
1. Open a document in Microsoft Word or Excel.
2. Click the 'Insert' tab. In the 'Illustrations' group, click 'SmartArt.' Click the 'Relationship' tab. Scroll down and select the icon for 'Basic Venn.' Click 'OK' to insert the Venn diagram.
3. Click 'Text' in the Text pane on the left. Type the text you want to place inside the first circle, which should be the name of the thing you are comparing. Click the next item down to enter text for the next circle. You also can click a circle in the graphic and type the text there.
4. Add or remove circles from the Venn diagram if you have more or less than 3 circles you want to compare. To add a circle, select the circle nearest to where you want to add one. Click the 'Design' tab. In the 'Create Graphic' group, click 'Add Shape.' Click either 'Add Shape After' or 'Add Shape Before,' and a circle will be added to overlap the selected circle. If you need to delete a circle, select it and then press 'Delete.'
5. Edit the circles in your diagram by manually moving them around. Click a circle you want to move, then drag it to the proper location. This will change the location and size of the overlapping areas of the circles.
6. Format the diagram by clicking the graphic, then clicking the 'Design' tab. To change the color combination, click 'Change Colors' in the 'SmartArt Styles' group and select a theme. Apply a SmartArt Style to change the look of it. Scroll through the styles in the 'SmartArt Styles' group and click the one you want. To change the look of a particular circle, right-click the border of the circle. Select 'Format Shape.' Here you can edit the line color, line style and fill color.
7. Click the 'File' tab or 'Microsoft Office Button,' then 'Save as' to save your Venn diagram.